Home Phone FAQs

Want to find out more about choosing a Home Phone service provider? Find answers to your questions with our home phone faqs below

  • How do I choose a home phone provider?
    Key factors to consider when choosing a provider include: monthly subscription/line rental, contract period, contractual obligations before switching tariffs/operators; customer service level; billing and payment options; extra services offered; which conditions apply to inclusive minutes.
  • How do I switch home phone provider?
    Before switching your home phone to another provider, check whether you’re able to switch from your current one under your existing contract. You could be charged a cancellation fee if you switch (source Ofcom, Nov 17, 2010). Phone or write to your current provider to decide the best way to switch.
  • Can I keep my number if I switch provider?
    Ofcom* advises that it is usually possible to retain your existing phone number. If you currently have your telephone services provided by another company, then it is usually possible to switch your telephone number over to a new provider. They will let you know if this is possible when you contact them.
  • What kind of tariffs are there?
    There are a wide range of tariffs to choose from, which vary according to the monthly package cost, line rental, together with day, weekend and evening call costs. A comparison site can help find the right one for you.
  • How do I switch tariffs?
    If you decide to switch tariffs, Ofcom* advises the best way is to phone or write a letter to your home phone provider. You must operate within the terms of your existing provider contract.
  • What should I do if I have difficulty paying my bills?
    Sometimes your personal circumstances can change unexpectedly. If you’re having difficulty paying your bill, you should discuss this with your provider.
  • What if I disagree with my bill?
    Ofcom* recommends that you should send your provider a copy of your bill, highlighting the relevant charges and the reasons why they are being disputed. If this fails to resolve your dispute, you should follow its formal complaints procedure. If your dispute is still unresolved, you can raise the matter with the relevant Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme.
*Ofcom is the UK communications regulator. For more information, advice and how to complain, visit the Consumer Section of the Ofcom website or call 0300 123 3333 or 020 7981 3040. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9.00am to 5.00pm. For Textphone: 020 7981 3043.